southlandnz.com | 9
Southland is renowned for its remarkable hiking tracks that venture into
wild and rugged landscapes, so there is no better way to get amongst it
all. There is a huge range available catering to many different abilities,
so it is important that you select a walk that best suits your skills.
Ensure that you plan, prepare and equip yourself appropriately for all
conditions and remember that your safety is your responsibility. If you
don’t want to venture out on your own, there are a number of expert
guides available who will share their local knowledge and experience as
you marvel at the stunning scenery.
Some of the best spots to hike include:
• Stewart Island, home of world renowned Great Walk, the Rakiura
• Out west the amazing Tuatapere Hump Ridge Track (including hike/
jet/heli options) and the Takitimu Mountains Tracks.
• Up north into the beech forests of Waikaia Forest and Mavora Lakes.
• The Catlins, has the new River Wisp Loop Track.
• Bluff, the beginning of Te Araroa, New Zealand’s national walkway.
Get more information on Southland Hiking
and Tramping atwww.doc.govt.nz