12 | southlandnz.com
Southland is a nature lover’s playground – a virtually untouched
wilderness known for its rare and unique wildlife. The region is an
absolute “must do” for anyone who is passionate about the natural
world and authentic encounters.
For the best experiences, we recommend you use a tour or a guide
but there are plenty of opportunities to spot wildlife throughout the
region self-guided. If you are self-guiding, please remember to respect
the wildlife by keeping a safe distance and following any local area
Some of the region’s best nature excursions include:
• Meet 115 year old Tuatara, Henry, at the world’s leading Tuatara
breeding centre - the Southland Museum and Art Gallery.
• Nature dominates on Stewart Island, home to the iconic kiwi, robin,
tui, dotterel and kaka.
• Ulva Island is a dream destination for bird lovers. Explore the island
sanctuary and discover our most rare and endangered native birdlife
including the Mohua/Yellowhead and the Saddleback.
• Marvel in the seclusion of The Catlins and see marine life including
Yellow-Eyed Penguins, Hector’s dolphin, New Zealand Sea Lion and
• Go hiking in the high country and keep a look out for giant snails.